Worth Fixing?

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM

What a beauty. I love Singer machines. When I was in my early 20's I traded in my grandmother's portable Singer. I don't know what model it was, but I wanted a new machine that would zigzag and do fancier stitches. What a mistake that was! The machine I bought was a piece of junk...even though it was new. I am kicking myself for being so foolish. Of course, hindsight is 20/20. That was almost 45 years ago. It has never ceased to amaze me how much we learn as years go by. LOL
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM

It takes just a regular old universal needle and regular 15 bobbin. It threads from right to left through the eye. And the thread comes off the bobbin counterclockwise. You can find the operators manual and adjusters manual online. PM me if you can't find them.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by moonrise
Can you tell any difference? :mrgreen:

The bad spot in the paint is just to the right of the plate where the feed dogs are. There are some other minor places, but I'm not sure if it justifies repainting the whole thing. I think I'll leave it as is. :)

The photos actually make it look a little more spiffy than it actually is, but even so, it cleaned up much more nicely than I expected.

We found a few other things missing ... one of the screws that holds the motor cover on (no biggie), one of the screws that holds the plate on, and the screw that holds the needle in place.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if it takes a certain kind of needle?

I keep wondering how much it costed when it was brand new. 8-)
You did a splendid job on the cleaning of the machine!! But you will not find the screws for it at the local hardware store. Singer had its own proprietary thread pitch so you have to find the screws off of the donor machine or I might have them here in my stock of parts.

But I can not wait to hear your reviews of the machine after you use it for the first time! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Billy
Old 08-17-2010, 04:58 PM

WOW!! She cleaned up beautifully!