Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
WOW, I be more smarterer ... WHOO Hoooo .... >

WOW, I be more smarterer ... WHOO Hoooo ....

WOW, I be more smarterer ... WHOO Hoooo ....

Old 05-04-2014, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by jeanharville View Post
Mike, thanks for explaining this. I didn't know the difference in the oscillating and the rotary.
Thank you! So, long shuttle = vibrating, and round bobbin = rotary or oscillating.

Really interesting to me is that in some recent threads it has been pointed out that round bobbins were around for a --long-- time while long shuttles were still being used. Can anyone expound on the plus and minus features of the long shuttle vs round? And also within the round, the pros and cons of the rotary vs the oscillating?
Old 05-04-2014, 06:08 AM
Power Poster

The long bobbin machines are very heavy duty and super easy to maintain. They hold quite a bit of thread on the bobbins. You can adjust them for some thicker threads pretty easily. I would imagine with overalls to patch they would be really nice to keep around. BUT I also like the older heavy wheels on the older Singer 15s with the round bobbins.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by Cecilia S. View Post
Thank you! So, long shuttle = vibrating, and round bobbin = rotary or oscillating.

Really interesting to me is that in some recent threads it has been pointed out that round bobbins were around for a --long-- time while long shuttles were still being used. Can anyone expound on the plus and minus features of the long shuttle vs round? And also within the round, the pros and cons of the rotary vs the oscillating?
Weelllllllll, not always.

I have a rotary long bobbin machine. Yep I do.

"Generally" I have found that the long bobbins do not hold near as much thread as the round bobbins. They hold enough to sew normal things with, but if you're quilting or doing something with lots of sewing you'll be filling bobbins at lot more often than with say a Class 66 or 15 bobbin.

VS machines are also somewhat noisier than round bobbin machines, except my rotary long bobbin VS and it's nice and quiet. This is because of the oscillating arm that is usually used to drive the shuttles. There is a lot of metal swinging back and forth under the machine.

A "rotary hook" machine is one where the bobbin hook rotates round and round and round and round.
An "oscillating hook" machine is one where the bobbin hook rotates in a half circle, then changes direction and rotates back, then repeats as needed.

Joe
Old 05-06-2014, 07:37 AM
Banned

also remember that marketing to people is frequently done based on "speed" and a back and forth motion is limited in top speed. ALso people do not like change... so you have to sell to the "XP users" as well as the "Early adopters"....
Old 05-06-2014, 08:33 AM

Steve,
That's something I never considered. The speed factor. I generally sew slow. So I wouldn't notice that. My wife on the other hand doesn't know HOW to go slow. So she'd be wanting a different machine.

Joe