Wrap on vintage machines

Old 01-29-2015, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I like machines with LOTS of pin rash - usually they are really good machines because they have been well used.
I agree. Most of mine that I rely on have pin rash on them, a couple of them have severe pin rash, but they’re great-running machines.

Installing a new wrap but not using it for pins can actually return the machine to an “authentic-looking” appearance, since wrapped machines were so common back in the day and it’s not unusual to see old photos of one. Carefully inserting a few decorative pins to explain the wrap can add interest as display.

CD in Oklahoma
Old 01-29-2015, 08:05 AM
Power Poster

[ATTACH=CONFIG]508070[/ATTACH]
The DGKs think this is adorable.
Attached Thumbnails do-rag-002.jpg  
Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 AM

I feel the same way about pin rash ,, it's an honor. in 2 cases I now wish I would have cleaned or tried to wash the original cloth and put that and it's pins back in place. I feel that fabric would have fallen apart
Old 01-29-2015, 08:48 AM

Odd man out again.

I don't see pin rash as an honor, I see it as abuse.

Joe
Old 01-29-2015, 08:59 AM

I kind of like how they look, as well as how utilitarian they are. I've been trying to figure out a way to make one that won't get in the way of the light on my Featherweight, will have some sort of thick back on it (like the flexible plastic on those semi-disposable cutting boards) to protect the machine and will actually have a little fluff in it so the pins can go straight in, but stop at the protective backing.
We'll see what I can come up with.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
I kind of like how they look, as well as how utilitarian they are. I've been trying to figure out a way to make one that won't get in the way of the light on my Featherweight, will have some sort of thick back on it (like the flexible plastic on those semi-disposable cutting boards) to protect the machine and will actually have a little fluff in it so the pins can go straight in, but stop at the protective backing.
I've been thinking about some kind of backing to go inside, too.
Old 01-29-2015, 09:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
Odd man out again.

I don't see pin rash as an honor, I see it as abuse.

Joe
Well, Joe - mechanically speaking there may be abuse but from what I've found they are like roaches you can't kill those old black machines and they run faster for trying. As far as how they look - at least they look used - very well used. We should do some kind of picture thread with the rags on the machines maybe see how creative we can go with it.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
Pin and diaper rash have a lot in common. Both are a pain in the butt.
Rodney
Haha! Too funny!
Old 01-29-2015, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by iadhikari View Post
Use two layers of mole skin and then your wrap? This only comes to mind because I broke my arm last week and and they had to put mole skin in a couple of places yesterday where the cast was irritating my thumb area. It is soft foam, sticky back. I bet if you stacked two layer then a thin layer of quilted batting/fav fabric around it would be pretty awesome right? Wouldn't have to peel off first paper from mole skin if didn't want it sticking to machine finish.

Last edited by Cogito; 01-29-2015 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:28 AM

Pin cushion on the arm was usually put there by a seamstress who did lots of dress making and used lots of pins in her sewing. She sewed very fast and needed a quick place to put pins. This was not abuse this was very functional and a needed place for pins without it being on the table. I got this bit form researching the net and and reading about sewing history in the library. I wish I could remember the book.