Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: year 1980 -2010 Singer sewing machine

year 1980 -2010 Singer sewing machine

I have this wonderful Singer sewing machine. But have just started the quilting side. No where in the instruction manual doesn't it show how to drop the feed dogs to free motion quilting.
    I think I have it down to two screws-but will I harm the machine if I try to drop them

Thank you

Kathrn

Hi Kathryn,

Not all machines are designed to drop their feed dogs. Some use some sort of covering device for the feed dogs. Some have nothing. I have no idea of whether it will hurt your machine if you remove the feed dogs.

What model of machine do you have? It should be on front of the manual, if not on the machine. Any of the technical people will need to know that.

Hopefully, someone will have an answer for you.

bkay

Blog Entries
    The feed dogs on my Singer (from around 1990) does not drop down. It came with a feed cover, which I've never used because I can free-motion quilt with the feed dogs up.
    "I keep my end tables full of needlework and quilting so I don't have to dust them." ~ Author Unknown but I agree!

For the machines I own that do not drop the feed dogs I just set my stitch length to zero and lessen the presser foot pressure. On one machine I even use the normal straight stitch foot instead of a hopping foot.

Cari

Quote Originally Posted by kathryn7887 View Post
    I have this wonderful Singer sewing machine. But have just started the quilting side. No where in the instruction manual doesn't it show how to drop the feed dogs to
    I think I have it down to two screws-but will I harm the machine if I try to drop them free motion quilting.

Thank you

Kathrn
    I'm guessing that you have a "Touch Tronic" model 2010. I am pretty sure that it would have come with a clear plastic 'Feed Cover Plate' to cover the feed dogs rather than being able to drop the feed dogs. There should be a section in the manual about darning and embroidery, which would be the same set-up for free motion quilting.

Janey - Neat people never make the exciting discoveries I do.
    Janey & John

Maybe you can google it and get info.

If it's a Singer Touch Tronic 2010 it should have come with a snap-in feed cover that covers the feed dogs. Check your manual for that type of accessory that came with your machine.

Janey,
    it did at one time but over the years and many moves the accessory box has been misplaced, along with the manual.
    my world. So thank you I am on the hunt.
    Thank you ever so much
    Kathryn

osewme,
    Thank you, I am now on the hunt for one
    Kathryn

Thank you Everyone for all the wisdom. I knew I would find what I needed on here.
    Thank you,
    Kathryn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast