Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Yet Another Abominization of Sewing Machines Anyone? >

Yet Another Abominization of Sewing Machines Anyone?

Yet Another Abominization of Sewing Machines Anyone?

Old 01-23-2015, 11:02 PM

Boy I hear that making tractors thing , Thats right there with people having 70 or 80 SM's and only two feet and two hands to use them with.

why do you drive on a parkway yet you park in a Driveway
Old 01-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Power Poster

Well if they are beyond redemption, why not. I've used chipped/broken pieces of my Nan's 'best' china for planters/vases. anything but landfill or rusting in a yard somewhere.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:20 AM

These really are cool- totally indestructable by those wee rowdy boy children My Dad found an old gutted singer at the dump and transformed it into a tractor for my son-40 yrs ago and now my great grand kids are still riding it. He put a handle on it like a stroller that I could use to push or pull and it came off once he was big enough to move it on his own. I like the idea that once these old beauties have sewed their hearts out that they can still be re-purposed into a much loved item that still brings joy.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:56 AM

Where would you buy the wheels? My grandson is a welder, and I have a machine that could end up as a tractor for his nephew, my great grandson.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Just to contribute my two cents worth, which I realize no one asked for...

I lump the SM tractors in with all the SM treadle base parts that's being advertised as "Steam Punk".
Which by the way is a term that I find objectionable.

I'd personally, my opinion and you're entitled to yours, is that;
I'd rather see them be melted down as scrap that treated that way.

I bought one today for $12 because I wanted the "box of attachments" that came with it.
I will probably set it back just in case I ever change my mind about it. But, for now my thinking is cut it into small pieces before I let it get turned into "Art".
Old 04-14-2015, 03:04 PM
Banned

Welcome NewGuy.

While I understand you viewpoint on this. Most of the "tractors" and such could be reverse "upcycled" with enough effort. Once melted, they are gone forever.

Not sure why "steampunk" would be an objectionable term...
Old 04-14-2015, 03:28 PM

I've seen a lot of steampunk I really enjoy - and a lot that looks like a bunch of junk stuck together. It takes a good eye and talent to pull it off successfuly.

It's like so many of the repurposed sewing cabinets are done by slopping some milk paint on and taking sandpaper to it. Once in a great while, I see one well done, but most are not.
Old 04-14-2015, 04:17 PM

Need more sewers and collectors of antique and vintage machines to save from ignoble repurposing. Conflicted on whether the tractor building is a fate worse than death or not.

These tractors strike me as a dangerous toy for a youngster---if there old enough to pick the thing up they could drop it on their foot.

Jon

Last edited by jlhmnj; 04-14-2015 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:40 AM

Default My two cents about your two cents...

Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
But, for now my thinking is cut it into small pieces before I let it get turned into "Art".
Wow. "cut it into small pieces before I let it get turned into "Art". and from a World Traveler, no less.
Why are you so afraid of a little art in the world?

Here's a question for you if you're a quilter. (which I am not, by the way)
You may not be, but pretend for a minute you are.
Now, as a person with a degree in clothing manufacturing I come along and ask, -Have you ever used old clothing or the like to make one of your quilts? and then I say, Don't abominate my clothing designs but cutting them up to use in your quilt.

Your quilts may be spectacular, but just because they are not my taste, would it be right for me to
prevent you from re-purposing the fabrics?

You're free to utilize things however you choose, but when your done with it, why not walk away and let the next person decide how they might like to use it? -instead of destroying it just to make sure they can't use it for anything at all.

I'm not talking about tearing apart something that's perfectly good to create something entirely different, although I'm not sure how I feel about that, I may be ok with it.
But if it's already been mistreated and junked, why not let it live again and bring pleasure to a new audience?

We're allowed to not like something, but destruction like you're suggesting is simply mean and evil.

P.S. -I honestly share your appreciation to keep things as close to the original -out of box- condition, however, creativity can be a good thing, as these tractors prove.
P.P.S. -I realize my use of the word abominate is incorrect. I just got creative.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:42 AM

MonkeyKatt- I like your way of thinking, and hope you stick around. Even if you are not a quilter LOL!!