"you sew too much"

Old 11-29-2013, 10:42 AM

[QUOTE=Wintersewer;6429628]
Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
ragquilter,
I agree with Joe on this. My favorite vintage machine is an all steel Kenmore 1560 with a free arm. This hems jeans like they were quilting cotton.

I am trying to sell a Kenmore 158.1651 on CL right now. It is clean and serviced, has a new hook and a set of cams. I paid $30 for just the machine ("Works".... but did not sew), and have $50 into it, not to mention time. I have priced it at $50 and I doubt I will sell it. Most likely I'll have to give it away. NO market for old machines around here. Those who list them for hundreds are out of touch.

Are Kenmores as good as Singers? Yes. Especially the late 60s to late 70s machines. While Singer was going to plastic junque the Kenmores were still all steel. My Kenmore 158-15570 sews better patterns with it's cams than many of the Singers do. It's all metal except for the cams and sews quiet and smooth.
Who made the Kenmores back then? The ones I have are made by Janome. Weren't they made by White for a while?
Old 11-29-2013, 10:55 AM

deplaylady,

The prefixs such as 158 is the code for the manufacturer. I know that Kenmore machines with that prefix were made by Maruzen / Jaguar. The 117 prefix machines were made by White. The others I don't know. I'm sure Janome did make some.

There is probably a list of Sears manufacturers, but I don't know where it is.

Joe
Old 11-29-2013, 11:05 AM

I enjoy my Featherweight, but also love my Janome MemoryCraft 9000. Once when having it serviced the guy showed me two machine chassis he had - one solid metal, the other all damaged plastic. He pointed to the metal frame and said, "That's what's inside your machine. It's built to last." We got it in the late 90's, and dh helped me pick it out. Actually, he bought it with money he inherited from his mom, as he wanted me to have a good machine. At the time we watched TV in the same livingroom where I sew. He liked the quiet hum of the Jamome, so he could still hear the TV, and we enjoy being together. It has embroidery cams which I don't use much, but it runs like a charm. My old machine was way noisy and often got temperamental. I don't scorn people who have a different machine, nor do I expect anyone else to think I'm stupid for making the choide I did. We all make the best choices we can.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
deplaylady,

The prefixs such as 158 is the code for the manufacturer. I know that Kenmore machines with that prefix were made by Maruzen / Jaguar. The 117 prefix machines were made by White. The others I don't know. I'm sure Janome did make some.

There is probably a list of Sears manufacturers, but I don't know where it is.

Joe
The machines with the 385 prefix were the Janome machines.
Old 11-29-2013, 05:42 PM

Default You sew too much

Joe,

I have to agree with you. My main machine (the "go-to") is my Singer 328K. It's a little more than 50 years old. I've had it since it was new. It is not a complicated machine, and I've had the tensions, bobbin assembly all apart and put back together. It's never had a serious problem (It's all metal, with removable cams). This machine has been used for clothing, drapes, curtains of all kinds, upholstery fabric (I completely recovered a small sofa, making new covers for all the pillows, etc.), and I've made a few quilts on it. Fortunately, my son is around, so if I get in "over my head" trying to repair, he can bail me out! LOL! I love by 328K! The fact is I couldn't afford to pay that kind of money for a sewing machine myself, but I won't criticize someone who can--after all, they're the ones paying for it!

Jeanette
Old 11-29-2013, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
I enjoy my Featherweight, but also love my Janome MemoryCraft 9000. Once when having it serviced the guy showed me two machine chassis he had - one solid metal, the other all damaged plastic. He pointed to the metal frame and said, "That's what's inside your machine. It's built to last." We got it in the late 90's, and dh helped me pick it out. Actually, he bought it with money he inherited from his mom, as he wanted me to have a good machine. At the time we watched TV in the same livingroom where I sew. He liked the quiet hum of the Jamome, so he could still hear the TV, and we enjoy being together. It has embroidery cams which I don't use much, but it runs like a charm. My old machine was way noisy and often got temperamental. I don't scorn people who have a different machine, nor do I expect anyone else to think I'm stupid for making the choide I did. We all make the best choices we can.
Well said Lynn
I too love my Featherweight and 301A and have really enjoyed learning how to use my Singer 27 treadle but I also love, love love my Viking #1 I bought after a house fire ruined my White Jeans machine back in 1995.
I consider the $1800 for the Viking well spent because I have used it as a clothing machine and now as my main quilting machine with very little problems. Ironically the main things that have happened have come from just years of use...a tension spring that gave up the ghost and the bobbin case fell apart. Each easily fixed and any machine no matter how old will have those kinds of things happen after years of use.