Youth Meets Age

Old 05-27-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Youth Meets Age

My 13 year old is fascinated with Featherweights. I think the are really cool as well, so had been looking around to find one for us to share.

Recently I scored on Craigslist. We are the third owner(s) - first two were aunt/niece.

Overall she is in good condition. Her previous owner mentioned tension issues, but when Gus tested her last night, we didn't see anything hugely problematic. She will need a good cleaning, and I'm planning to order the reference cards from Nova Montgomery and Dave McCallum's book/DVD so that we can do as much maintenance at home as possible.

So here are Gus and Amy Farah-Fowler (my Berninas are Bernadette and Penny (801)).

Cheers, K
Attached Thumbnails img_0763%5B1%5D.jpg   img_0762%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 05-27-2014, 12:48 PM

great score! on both the FW and having the interest of a 13yo!
Old 05-27-2014, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

So nice to see a teenager sewing! He is very cute. The machine looks fine and I love the names of all your FWs. We watch that show too.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:39 PM

Very nice! It's always good to see a kid take an interest in a positive activity.
Rodney
Old 05-28-2014, 05:44 AM

I too like to see kids interested in subjects, activities, etc. that will positively contribute to their lives. My father brought a different "take" to the "positively contribute" part. For years he was a dire Sybil: Our children were going to live on the streets; Our children would be financially dependent on the community for the entirety of their lives; Our children would never amount to anything at all; and on. All of this because the kids liked to play the more involved, demanding computer games, spending lots of time in front of a computer.

Before he died, Dad told us he was proud of our children; that he was pleased and surprised to discover he was wrong about the computer games. Those games demanded analysis and observation and, when the dust settled, their life paths turned out to demand both skills. One child specializes in accounting and finance. The other is a mechanical engineer.

Dad taught the kids lots of very, very important things with that one simple statement. I am grateful to him and I was and am very proud of him for "owning up." Quite often it seems that what seem to be useless, time-waster activities turn out to be important.

I had to force my grandmother to teach me how to sew. All she would let me do was service and re-tension her treadle Singer for her. I am going to go hit my sewing room and use my vintage Bernina to finish up the alterations on the suit the accounting/finance kid is going to wear to a contract meeting on Friday.

We never know.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:02 AM

He is a great kid. Between Boy Scouts, hockey and lacrosse, I don't get to spend as much time sewing as I would like. He does his share of mind-numbing computer games as well.

He is great at pressing fabrics and has learned to use a rotary cutter (though I'm not quite ready to turn him loose on my projects). We have a stack of fabrics picked out for his next project that he selected (very good eye for color). Now we just need to find quiet time at home.

His first project using Amy was to make me a bookmark - with a very abstract MOM stitched onto it. That is currently holding my place for the quilt workshop that I'll take in a few weeks from Bonnie Hunter (mid-way through preparing fabrics for that - and way ahead of the game).

Cheers, K
Old 05-28-2014, 09:10 AM

I hope he takes that fascination as far as it will go! How cool it is to have a 13 year old interested in a mechanical!!
Old 05-28-2014, 10:49 AM

Awesome all the way around.