ziggagger

Old 08-27-2014, 04:04 AM

Default ziggagger

Has any one used or bought a zigggar for their fw??? I saw these on ebay and wondering if they actually work and worth my investment. Thanks MaryH
Old 08-27-2014, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by happystitchermm View Post
Has any one used or bought a zigggar for their fw??? I saw these on ebay and wondering if they actually work and worth my investment. Thanks MaryH
Problem is, they're bigger and weigh as much as the machine The instructions for mine say "No. 161157 for classes 15K, 191K, 201K, 221K and 222K", and the first two models have been crossed out, so I assume this one has been designed to work on a FW. I also assume there are several different models of the big ones.
Due to the size, though, I wouldn't. I have a nice little swiss zigzagger (there are two models, both are the same size) in my 222K case: It weighs a fraction of the full size one. Full size one has eight cast iron wheels, the swiss has ten tiny pattern cams and as a bonus, a walking foot.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:09 AM

Mike is talking about the BIG zigzagger that you can switch cams. There is a much, much smaller Singer version that only zigzags that you can get. There is also the Greist one that would work if you get the side clamp style, and it has 6 very small cams to do different zigzag patterns.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 AM

I have a adjustable zigzagger that came with my featherweight. Part 121706
http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/simanco/121706/

I don't know how well it works though.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:57 AM

The Greist model is quite similar to the Swiss made one (Singer) and if you want a Swiss style, it can easily cost MORE than your FW (at least here in the US). I was looking on eBay, and forgot about the other style.

The earliest Singer zigzag is a side mount unit - and I've seen two different ones so far (modifcations for improvement)
then they went to a front/back mount, and the early one looks more like the Ruffler - no "cover" (this is the one posted above)

the next is the black one with the round cover, it's still rather small and will only do a basic zigzag, but you can adjust the width.

And the last US made Singer is the larger black one with the interchangeable cams

The Swiss made one is the one that comes with the white case, it's rare in the US and often sells for over $200.

However there is also the Greist units. They are almost indentical to the smaller black Singer style, and they come in both plain zig zag, and a slightly different one that has very small interchangeable cams for more decorative zigzag patterns. the cams are flat and smaller than a dime - one person described them as "ninja looking things" and that is a good description. If you look for a Greist one, you will need to get one that fits short shank side clamp machines.

With the others - I have seen the both the smaller and larger Black Singer ones that are slant shank to fit the 301, and most sellers don't know what they have, and the instructions are the same, and often say that they are for the unit that fits the both straight and slant - BUT while the instruction manual is the same, the unit is not.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:37 AM

I'm not impressed with these zigzaggers at all. They move the fabric and are noisy and clunky. Better to buy a zig zag capable machine if you need it.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by Candace View Post
Better to buy a zig zag capable machine if you need it.
Yes but presumably if you use a fw, you don't really want to buy another, heavier machine for just one task.
I'd assume that if you have one, you're probably after portability.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:44 AM

Originally Posted by amcatanzaro View Post
I have a adjustable zigzagger that came with my featherweight. Part 121706
http://www.singersewinginfo.co.uk/simanco/121706/

I don't know how well it works though.
My FW came with this too, but I haven't tried it yet. Also came with a buttonhole attachment and a blind hem attachment but I haven't tried those either. Guess I need to play with my toys more.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:29 AM

I've got several different versions of ZZ'er like MacyBaby said. To date I have never gotten any of them work work satisfactorily. Our FW even came with one of the non cam units. I collect them when I find them, but for ZZ work I get a machine that can do that.

Joe
Old 08-29-2014, 07:04 AM

I haven't played with my zigzagger (the smaller Greist one) much but I do like watching the buttonholers work.
Rodney