Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Zymol - Is it good/safe to use on machines? >

Zymol - Is it good/safe to use on machines?

Zymol - Is it good/safe to use on machines?

Old 03-17-2015, 11:50 AM
KLO

Default Zymol - Is it good/safe to use on machines?

Yes, I am back with another question. I just read where Zymol, a car wax product, is good for shining up those old black Singers and others. Has anyone used this or know anything about it? Do you need to clean up the machine with something else first before using it? And the big question: Is it safe to use on the old machines if they are in good shape to begin with ... so just for shining and protecting maybe? I usually only use sewing machine oil but wondered about this since it was recommended. Thanks!
Old 03-17-2015, 06:22 PM

I can't say for sure, I haven't used the product. The old black machines were japanned and the decals were applied and the whole thing then got a coat of shellac to protect it. As long as the wax doesn't damage the shellac and the shellac is in good shape, you're probably fine. More modern machines use a painted finish and aren't as delicate. You should be good on those. Try some where it won't show and see how it does.
Rodney
Old 03-18-2015, 06:01 AM

FaceBook has a Featherweight group and Zymol is the product of choice, or any other good auto wax. As always, be gentle around the decals. This board has a wealth of information on cleaning sewing machines. Check the archives and read or watch the videos. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM
KLO

Thanks sjdal, It was a person who owned a Featherweight who mentioned using the Zymol so maybe that is where it originally came from.

Rodney, Thanks for the advice. I think I would be inclined to try it somewhere that it wouldn't show if it turned out to be a bad idea. (Hope you are holding you own as you prepare for the surgery. So many people pulling for you that it's got to all work out fine.)