View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Roseysue

Hi Sherry,
Thanks for your story, I am going to enjoy reading it when I can give it a special uninterrupted time ( looks like a book!)
Wow! this is becoming such a unique experience. I feel as if I am building new friendships more meaningful than any other.

I guess this is a good a time as ever, so here goes:

I have speant much of my life in one kind of transition after another which doesn't lend itself very well to developing or maintaining any close relationships, so here I am at age 64 with 4 children and 12 grandchildren to show for my efforts. That is quite an accomplishment considering all the twist and turns the kids and I took during the 60's,70's and 80's.

I was born in Phila, Pa. in 1946, moved to Pittsburgh, Pa. when I was 6 months old, Then the year I was to enter Jr.Hi, we moved back to Phila. After HighSchool, I took a stab at college in NY for one year and ended up married and living in Ossining, NY.
In the next 4 years, I had 3 children, and then 5 years later another one ( a son at home (planned). When my children were young, I was involved with teaching childbirth, specifically homebirth, a La Leche leader (breastfeeding counseling)
and also counseling in mothering -following one's instincts) I never worked when my children were small. I never was trained formally for anything.

Then after 13 years of a very hostile abusive marriage, my children and I 'fled' to Buena Park CA. to seek safety. We settled here in 1978, the kids adjusted well, I remarried in 1981 and have lived in Buena Park ever since.

For a number of years I worked as an accoountant for a number of different corporations - I was self taught. Then in 1994, I had to retire - job was too stressful. My family has always been very active in our church activities from the time since I was a child. I must say that there have been many times that God has been very close to us, protecting us.
I have been sewing since I was a child. I made many of my own clothes and then my children's clothes and then for a period of five years (2000-2005)many clothes for my grandchildren.
I knitted sweaters, etc. for my children. I am crocheting now. In the process of doing two afgans for two granddaughters in Oklahoma. (Good activity when I'm out and can't get to a sewing machine)
I did quite of embroidery over the years - cross-stitch, crewel, long-stitch, counted cross-stitch.
I've done a bit of scrapbooking ( have many more years to catch up on) but I do have a number of albums completed to show for it.
I have all the cardmaking and stamping supplies to run a class and have done quite a bit of that and plan to do more in the future.
I was a florist out of my garage for 10 years (loved, loved, loved that) and when we lived in a house we had a garden of over 600 rose bushes. Used in our business, showed them in rose shows, was a consulting rosarian and rose judge.
I now live in a manufactured mobile home park and have every inch around planted with roses as well as other plants and flowers that I really enjoy. I also have a lot of plants and flowers in containers. In the spring, I will take some pictures for all of you. I had back surgery in Sept, so I have had to have some one to help me out there - off limits right now. I love giving and sharing of my garden - gives me such joy.
My sister(she lives in Charleston, WVA) introduced me to quilting 10 years ago, and the rest is history.

I was bitten by the bug and from 2000 to 2006, I made more than 20 quilts, mostly for family members.
2006 till this Sept, I was kind of off not doing much - life changes happened again. I started up again, joined our guild, found Quilting Board, started finding others locally who loved to quilt and have developed a nice circle on- line and in person.
It really feels good. I made my first quilt since my sabbitical this Christmas with chirismas fabrics,(I've been taking a weekly class - the pattern was from that) ( I loaned it to a day center for disadvantaged adults during Christmas to dress-up their eating area,) I will post that after I finish this. I have made other things during this time, some of which you have seen.
I am enjoying becoming a part of the SP and some swaps and purchased an Accuquilt GO in October and then the BABY GO in November, which has revolutionized my quilting experience.
I think I have shared some of that with you. How much faster and more precise it is when using the cutter.

I am in a Yahoo group for Accuquilters which is very informative - pick up a lot of tips, etc there. Also joined the 'pinsand needles' group ( they sell the accuauilt dies and cutters for 35% off)

I had a small stash when I took that time off, but I am building it up so I can feel it is to die for!

I guess that's about all. It may sound like a lot of stuff, but remember it is over 64 years and I left out a lot of the kntty gritty details which would be boring. (Ha!)
Well it's getting late, so I'm saying nite for now. See ya'll in the AM. Your Quilting Buddy Sue

Christmas Quilt I made (first one since I got back into quilting-pattern from class I took)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]153011[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-153006.jpe