Thread: The long cut
View Single Post
Old 09-26-2007, 05:35 AM
vicki reno

I like the look of a solid border. The lengthwise cut will not stretch anymore than the other way. The secret is in matching points on the quilt with points on the border and pinning carefully. Using the walking foot is also helpful in keeping everything lined up correctly. If piecing is necessary seaming on the bias--laying 2 pieces at right angles to each other and sewing on the diagonal--makes the seam much less noticeable and spreads the thickness around more evenly. The same holds true for he binding. i have trouble cutting straight and accuraely so I tear my fabric and if it is dark do it a little wide just in case the "white fringes shows. That way it can be incorporated into the seam and trimmed after the fact if necessary. I figure it will be pressed eventually so its no more trouble to pess it after it is cut than before. The nice thing is that there is no quilt police so it is all down to whatever works for the individual. Now I will get off my soap box and get back to work! LOL