Old 03-23-2012, 06:30 AM
Mizkaki

Donna,

You mentioned the "red eye" decal, these only came on the Singer 66. The 201's decal were always a much plainer style, never that ornate. The fiber gear is the one on the backside of the handwheel. It is very durable. So don't worry about it.

Cathy
Originally Posted by DonnaQuilts View Post
Thank you for placing yourself out there for us. It may be more interesting than you know.
I have a question about the black paint on the old Singers. I have a 201-2 and it seems to have clear coat of some kind on it. The clear coat is worn through in spots and the black paint is shiny under the coat. I was very careful when cleaning the machine so as to not damage the decals. I saw decals on Ebay under "Singer Decals". They don't have Red Eye decals yet though. I've been reading everything I can get my hands on regarding 201-2s. I would like to purchase a shop manual, but don't know where to start to find one. If I knew which one to request, our library could get one from the Library of Congress or some other library and I could copy it. Do you know the best one to request?
I was so machine ignorant when I started, I thought I had bought a 99, and when we got it home to Tennessee, low and behold it was a 201-2. A sewing machine man chastised me for buying it and said I should have bought an 11.
I know the 201-2 has a 90 degree bend for the thread that the 11 doesn't have. The 11 is supposed to be better for free motion quilting. I haven't attempted that yet anyway. The cord was intermittent and we ordered another one, which should be here Monday or Tuesday. It has been fun to clean it up. It came with the art deco desk, which we are refinishing. It is mahogony. There was one earlier in the week on QB which was oak or maple. It is a cute sucker. I can't wait to get it all done and sew on it.
I am downloading all the 201-2 information and putting it in a notebook to keep with the machine. It will be there for the next generation. This machine should last another 80 years. It is so well built. One final question?
I read there is a fiber gear somewhere inside that can break. The only ones I see are steel? Is that true and do the fail? I was told to be careful with it and not try to sew ridiculous things like the state on Ebay.
Keep up the good work and we appreciate any knowlege you can impart to us to help take care of our mechanical friends.
Warm regards,
Donna