Old 07-31-2012, 05:31 PM
Bennett

Originally Posted by LindaR View Post
Love the way the cabinet looks now...how do you flip her inside...do you have to take the wheel off?
Yes, I have to take the crank off when she's in the cabinet. I have seen conversions where they cut a notch in the cabinet, but I didn't want to do that. I thought about it at first, but then changed my mind. Otherwise, it's just like any other regular sized Singer cabinet.

Originally Posted by Monroe View Post
That is an amazing transformation! What did you use for the finish?
The original finish was lacquer, and I removed that with a green Scotch Brite and lacquer thinner. Then I wiped on several layers of shellac thinned with denatured alcohol (dries quick, easy for me to use, but not a real "tough" finish). After it had cured, I polished it with Johnson's paste wax applied with a bit of 0000 steel wool and buffed with a soft rag. I did take it apart to do all this, working on the individual parts was much easier than trying to maneuver the whole thing around. I have to walk by and pat it every now and then to feel the finish.

Editing: I just wanted to mention that all I did was remove the old lacquer, not "strip" it totally. I didn't have to sand anything except where I removed veneer and the bare wood needed to be smoothed or where I did some little veneer repairs. I have seen cabinets where stain was in the old shellac, not the wood, but this was not the case for this one.

Hehe, someone saw a pic on my Facebook and said it looked "modern." I had to tell them that the 1950s are modern!

Last edited by Bennett; 07-31-2012 at 05:36 PM.