View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 08:25 PM
JudyTheSewer

Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
I want to give you a tip on the inserting the dowel into the screw hole. Get a dowel a little larger than the screw hole and sharpen it in a pencil sharpener to taper the dowel to fit the hole and glue it in and cut off any excess dowel flush with the side. Be sure to let the glue cure for at least overnight or 24 hours.
Skip
I bought my supplies (wood glue, hard wood dowel, oak wood board to create the patch). And, here are the results!

(I ended up not using the dowel even though that is probably the best way to do it. Since my wood patch was 100% oak I thought the repair might be strong enough "as is". If my repair does not last I will have to go back and redo it the "correct" way.)

1) I cut the patch from the wood using the Dremel. Then I trimmed an area in the sewing machine board to match the patch. I coated both wood surfaces with wood glue and clamped.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384382[/ATTACH]

Here are some pictures with the clamps removed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384383[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384384[/ATTACH]

2) Attached my repaired board to the hardware on the machine's cabinet

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384385[/ATTACH]

3) Screwed the machine itself back onto the cabinet's board, attached the belt, and treadled away

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384386[/ATTACH]

What a nice stitch this machine makes. I plan on doing some red work using this machine. Here is a closeup of the stitches.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384387[/ATTACH]
Up until now, I was only able to stitch by manually turning the wheel. This treadling is MUCH nicer!

Thank you for all of your help Glenn! I really appreciate it.

Judy
Attached Thumbnails 1-img_0319.jpg   2-img_0322.jpg   3-img_0323.jpg   4-img_0326.jpg   5-img_0327.jpg  

6-img_0328.jpg