View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 09:18 AM
DogHouseMom

I'm thinking raw edge applique with batiks (because they don't fray as much).

There is a software that you can upload a photo and it will print out a grid of either mosiac tiles (eg all 1" squares), or as a grid of pieces each shaped to the size of the color block (no two sizes/shapes alike). It is called QuiltedPhoto and you can buy it online here. I have an older version and it is very easy to use. You can choose sizes and shapes of the mosiac tiles (ie 1" square or 2" diamond), the amount of colors you want to pull out, and it will print on standard paper then you piece the pages together. Once you have all of the pages laid out on your wall or table, overlay with something sheer that you can use as a foundation. Lay your applique pieces over the foundation and secure them down (I used a glue stick to lay them out and once I was happy with an area I used clear mono-filament thread to stitch down the edges of each piece - all of my pieces overlapped others).

And don't forget ... whatever detail you might lose in the piecing, you can make up for in the quilting.

http://quiltedphoto.com/