Old 01-20-2014, 07:54 AM
mpspeedy2

My getting involved with the Linus Project was a perfect excuse for me to purchase more fabric. My other excuse is that the prices are going up dramatically. Even Joanns has cotton fabric that is $14 a yard. When we started making Linus blankets out of fleece I had another excuse to check out the remnant bins at least once a week. The nice thing about the fleece blankets is that I can crochet the yarn edge around them while still watching TV with my husband. Last week I went to one of the few Quilt Shops in driving distance from my home and I was shocked by the price of everything there. I can afford to make three Linus Quilts from the fabric I purchase at Joanns because they are a whole lot less expensive. I really need to not purchase anything for a couple of months and try and put a dent in my current stash. In the mean time I am hoping the weather is not bad for our Linus sorting day coming up. We had to cancel the last one and I am currently tripping over 7 bags of finished quilts bound for that project. I also make "princess pillowcase dresses". They are a project for children in third world countries that have no clothes. The idea being that if they are covered they are less likely to be molested. I purchase gently used top sheets for that project. I have discovered that many people are like my husband and won't sleep under top sheet. I am able to find them for a great price at local thrift stores etc. I can make about six dresses from one of them. the dresses are based on the concept of a pillowcase with armholes cut out and bound with bias tape that makes tie straps for the shoulders. Using pillowcases or the sheets, provides presewn hems and or selvage edges that save a lot of sewing. I have a number of sheets also adding to my stash plus a large collection of bias tape that was donated by persons at my church.