View Single Post
Old 04-27-2014, 06:59 AM
quiltmom04

You'll never get an appropriate amount for your time, so if this is family or friends and you have been lassoed into it, I would do it as a wedding gift and make it clear it is their wedding gift. If I do things like that that I DO NOT want to make a business out of, I tell the recipient not to tell anyone where the item came from, as I DO NOT want referrals! For me, I would rather do something like this a gift rather than be insulted with an extremely low amount ($25/dress). I made an middle school dance dress from a metallic fabric for the daughter of a friend of mine. I spend a lot of time on it, and she said she would pay me. She is fairly well off, so I assumed (wrongly, as it turned out) she would know the value of an hand crafted dress. But when it was all finished, she paid me $35! After that, I have practiced saying "Oh, I wish I could - I just don't have the time!" But, at the end of the day, what you charge is up to you. But if you truly have a choice, please don't undervalue your time!!