Thread: Christmas
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 06:28 AM
sparkys_mom

Originally Posted by Pam B View Post
I don't mind stores like a Hobby Lobby having holiday things out months in advance. Many crafters like to be working a season, or two, ahead especially if they are going to participating in craft shows. I do get irritated at dept stores rushing the season with their holiday decorations, tho. In fact, I remember walking into a local dept store in early Sept one year to hear Xmas music blaring from their speaker system. I told a salesclerk that if that was someone's idea of putting people in a shopping mood, they were wrong. Then I turned around and left.
I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment. The first time I went into a department store and saw all the Christmas decorations up before halloween I was totally turned off. I don't feel at all sorry for the merchants when they start boo-hooing over holiday sales being down. What do they expect? They are promoting it year round and, at least for me, it destroys the fun. My family stopped exchanging gifts years ago and I've finally weaned my friends off of it. We do a nice lunch or dinner out and that's the end of it. If I see something special that I think someone would enjoy, I pick it up, but if I don't - no problem as there is no expectation on anyone's part. Of course we are all adults. This doesn't necessarily apply to kids.