View Single Post
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM
ArchaicArcane

I thought I'd also mention that I was attending a LAQ class last year and I heard a lady say that she volunteered at the Museum in her home city. The museum was actually recommending poly for the surface design on quilts. Why? Apparently a lot of the surface design is being lost on all of these beautiful quilts due to cotton thread rotting.

Now, I don't know exactly how true that is, since I would think that if the thread is rotting then the rest of the quilt (being in the same conditions) is rotting too and they wouldn't be differentiating between thread and fabric, but it IS food for thought.

It's also worth mentioning that I haven't run into a single machine yet, domestic or LA, that wouldn't run any thread I told it to. Most people just need to sit down and figure out the tension tweaks required and they can run almost anything.

A few professional quilters have asked for tension lessons from me when I explained how their vintage machines worked. I had to tell them that it was no different. If you jam a fat/coarse/temperamental thread through a skinny hole or a tight tensioner, it will have trouble. If you try to run a thin/slippery thread through a canyon, you'll also have trouble. Thread - like the rest of us - likes boundaries and guidance but also freedom to move whether we admit it or not.