View Single Post
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM
Tartan
Power Poster

I like to lay my batting down, smooth the quilt top on top (right side facing me) pin the ruffle around the quilt top edge (facing into the center) mark where I want my opening for turning and stitch around the perimeter just outside of my 1/4 inch seam allowance. I use regular size stitches because the ruffle needs to be secured to the quilt top so when you turn it they are attached correctly and since I will be hand stitching the opening closed, I want the ruffle to be secure.

Once the perimeter of the quilt top is sewn to the batt, I check to make sure everything looks good. I trim any extra batt away and loosely secure the ruffle down to the sandwich with a few safety pins if it is long enough to flip into the final edge stitching. I lay my backing(face down) on my prepared top and pin the edge well. I stitch around the edge of the sandwich leaving about 6 inches open for turning. I trim the corners if any extra fabric is there so I get nice corners when the sandwich is turned right side out.

I turn the sandwich right side out through the opening, remove the pins securing the ruffle and work on getting the sandwich all flat to quilt.