Old 04-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Sewnoma

People don't usually ask me for clothing repairs. Maybe they've noticed some of my crappy hems and know I'm a bad choice for anything garment-sewing related. (Blind hem...smlind hem, I'll just sew all the way through!) My DH is the only one who asks, and I don't mind fixing his stuff if he can't. He can (and does) sew his own buttons on but I do anything machine-sewing related.

I do get asked for quilts - or sometimes not even asked, I'm told things like "Oh, you can make a quilt for my baby!" (Oh I CAN?!? How generous.) The most egregious was when I was on vacation and the valet at the hotel noticed me unpacking a lot of new fabric to take up to my hotel room (had to pet it!) and asked if I were a quilter. When I said yes she started describing this t-shirt quilt she wanted made and asked me how much. I said I don't do commission quilts, it's just a hobby and I offered to ask around to find someone who would be interested in the job, but she didn't want to hear that and would NOT stop badgering me. Even my DH was getting annoyed and starting to look like he was going to step in, so I finally said I would do it for $5,000, half due up front, and I needed a 3 year deadline to finish. She goggled at me and asked (rather nastily) why it was so expensive for "just a simple t-shirt quilt". I just said (in my best snobby voice), "Because I'm an artist, and art is EXPENSIVE."

That ended THAT conversation. LOL!