View Single Post
Old 05-07-2015, 04:10 AM
citruscountyquilter

Check out you library for books on sewing. My local library also has a give and take pattern area. Fabric shops also run specials on patterns that are $1-$2 each. Walmart carries some inexpensive patterns.
If you can find a sewing buddy that would be great. Don't try to take shortcuts. Your finished garment will not look right if you do. Be careful to cut things on the grain line indicated on the pattern so that your finished garment hangs right. Many times you won't save money by making something yourself given the price of the pattern and material but you will get something that fits and you enjoyed making. Look for patterns that can be used again and again to get your money's worth. I use inexpensive muslin to draw my pattern on (tracing the store bought pattern) so I can make any fitting adjustments, it is more durable than paper, sticks to the fabric better so fewer pins needed and still maintains the integrity of the original pattern, which now come in multiple sizes, to be used again.
My mother was a beautiful seamstress and taught me how to sew. I am so glad she did because it has given me many hours of enjoyment.