View Single Post
Old 09-08-2015, 10:55 AM
tjk829

Default What "makes" a retreat?

Not sure if this is the right place to post this thread but will try it. I did search the board for other threads about retreats but didn't find what I was looking for. I have recently been faced with some mechanical health issues that may lead to me rethinking my career path.. ( wheels are not working so well). I briefly thought about a quilt shop but quickly discarded that, I enjoy browsing them probably not so much the necessary things to make it run! Then I remembered reading the Elm Creek books and starting kicking around the idea of a retreat venue. I even found a nearby Victorian property that would be ideal but there are few outside activities. There is a golf course, restaurants and small shopping sites but it is not a metro area by any means. So my question is what makes a retreat really special? The venue, classes, local activities outside the retreat? There is one other retreat venue within 50 miles but it is mostly focused as a corporate retreat with quilters tacked on...I would really want to focus on quilting and teaching. Thanks for your insight, you may have guessed that I haven't attended many...make that any retreats but i love the idea and think I could make it work.