View Single Post
Old 10-23-2015, 08:50 AM
Gray fox

Default Gull & Harbeck details

Steve,

The spool pin consists of a metal tube, with a threaded part inside which extends out the top. There is a brass part which fits on top of the spool, then a spring, and then a knurled nut. The part atop the spool is a little too tall, and the shape off, but not bad. The spring is a shortened Singer spool pin spring, nice and light. The problem is the threading on the knurled nut does not match the threading on the spool pin, and unthreads itself when you turn the machine. So, in use, it needs the extra nut on top to keep it from spinning off.

Dan is very inventive in coming up with solutions, and these parts are from a box he keeps of things scavenged here and there. Bear in mind, this started as a wood dowel and two washers on top of the spool. Something is needed to keep the spool from hopping with each stitch, making for loose stitches, and a simple spool felt could not do the job. That explains why old drawings show these features.

These are the first photos I loaded into and adjusted on my new computer. Challenging, and I've no idea how the picture of the machine got that interesting shadowed effect in the background. Will figure it out eventually.

The gist of this is I'm not unhappy with the way this looks as a display piece (without the nut) and finding parts that match up exactly is probably next to impossible. If you have suggestions, they would be appreciated, and if you know of sources for odd little parts with threading like used in 1890s Germany, that would be stupendous!

Dianne
Attached Thumbnails spool-pin.jpg   spool-pin-nut.jpg   g-h.jpg