View Single Post
Old 03-06-2016, 08:03 AM
Geri B

Default Learned something new!!!

..to me anyway, so I thought I would share in case someone else can use this hint. First, a few weeks ago at the grocery store, produce isle, I was buying some avocadoes on sale.....just daughter and I now, so no big meals...and I mentioned how these won't hold up.......a lady overheArd my comment and told me if I put any fresh produce into plastic bag, remove as much air as possible and put in refrigerator, it will prolong the freshness of same. So I bought, put in plastic, and refrigerated 2 of the 4 avocadoes I bought that day......turn the page....during this last week (about 10 days in bag) I pulled them out..beautiful, firm and tasty. On that same shopping trip I bought a cluster (5) of bananas. Did the same thing. Totally forgot about them until this morning...decided I wanted cereal and remembered those nanas......the skins were the darkest brown/ black, but the fruit was as firm and fresh as if just picked! So another new thing.......now every fruit/veg I buy will be plastic bagged before refrigeration..