View Single Post
Old 07-12-2017, 06:05 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Congratulations. You will love it! Like you, I really had a hard time moving the quilt under the needle. Additionally with a sit down you still have to baste the quilt and basting was my number one most dreaded, hated task in quiltmaking. Frame quilting completely eliminates that step and to me moving the machine head is a much more natural movement than moving the quilt sandwich.

But I warn you about the frame size. I have a 10 ft frame for my Innova and I do find the size limiting. A 10' frame does not give you 120" of loading space. First of all that 10' measurement is from outside edge to outside edge so you need to deduct the inches that the supporting structure of the frame takes up. On my frame that is approximately 8". So immediately my 120" is now down to 112". You also need to have room at the sides to attach side clamps, test tension and get at your bobbin to change it, at a minimum that would be 7". Also you have to remember that your backing always needs to be larger than your top by at least 4" to 5" (I prefer more) I have found I really have a hard time with any top over 100" wide and prefer to not quilt anything wider than that. So my 10' frame is perfect for anything queen size or smaller, 98" wide or less. You may find that 8' will not be wide enough if you do a lot of queen size quilts. Just letting you know.