View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 04:04 PM
NanaCsews2

Originally Posted by sewn3w View Post
I entered info on Ancestry.com. Went back some time later to update info and found someone had changed my father's name. So corrected it. Found my mother's birth info had been changed. I corrected that. Went back to update after another family change. Oh yeah you guessed it. I found my parents info was changed to incorrect names for both of them the 2nd time. Mother's birth I fo wrong again. So I left it and Ancestry.com completely.

Cautionary tale. If you use that site may I suggest you confirm info with outside sources.
Similar story here. Received legit info from a relative that has been doing family history for many years. I found her only because of Ancestry. She gave me immediate family info only, not generations of lineage. I understood as she took the time to do all the work, guess I was should do the same. Went on the site after some time, and found out a niece had copied info from an entry by someone who 'believed' our relatives were his, so she entered all his info into our family tree. Made quite a mess. You have to dig deep to get the real facts. Many merely click a link and if some of the info is correct, enter it into their family tree. I would never rely solely on Ancestry.com. Find dates, locations, names, and check libraries, churches, cemeteries etc. closest to that info and if info matches up, you are probably on the right track. It takes many many hours of digging and searching and recording. I put my searching on hold until I can find several hours straight in a day for months to get more info that I know will be enlightening and beneficial for generations to come.