Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM
nana2

I do okay with the 1/4 inch seams, but I have not perfected free motion quilting. I just don't get the fabric moving under the quilting foot smooth enough to have evenly spaced stitches. Today on our PBS station - America Sews with Sue Haussman she was using a "contraption" which she called a frame. It looked like a flat rectangle piece of heavy plastic with an opening (rather large) in the center. The quilt just lay down on this -- no clips, pins, etc. As the machine is sewing, instead of moving the quilt, this "frame" is moved. I can understand that a very very smooth piece of plastic (probably coated with some special application) would "glide" over the machine base and under the quilting foot. I've just never seen one of these frames, but would be interested in seeing one. Hopefully, it is simple enough that it would be about a zillion dollars cheaper than one of those long arm quilting machines. So if in your search for quilting supplies you see this or already know about it, please put up a post for all of us. Thanks.