Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Rose_P

Originally Posted by Grammahunt View Post
My latest machine was purchased by my husband as a gift, but I agreed to buy it. It is a Handi-Quilter 710. Handi-Quilter has made long arms in the USA for a long time but in the last couple years have gotten into the 'domestic machine' market. I wasn't shopping for a new machine, but I knew from their advertising that Handi-Quilters were made in the USA. So I eagerly agreed to obtain this machine--only to find out it is made in Taiwan. I can't tell you how disappointed I was!!!!!
For what it's worth, there is a long history of good quality sewing machines made in Taiwan. I recently bought a rare old Singer from 1973 that was made there, and I think it's every bit as good as a Bernina I have from the same period. Of course, those are vintage, all metal types of machines, so it possibly has no bearing on today's products. Just saying it's not necessarily junk just because it was made there. A company like Handi-Quilter has quite a bit at stake putting their badge on a machine that's outsourced, and they have every incentive to maintain good customer relations. It's when a foreign entity buys some company that you might have reason to think the quality wouldn't be the same. There is no American Singer Company as there once was, for example.