View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 09:25 PM
Sleepy Hollow

I learned to crochet about 2 years ago, and learned to knit this summer (socks only). Crochet is definitely easier when you make a mistake. You can just pull on the yarn and go back as far as you need to. With knitting, it's much more difficult (at least for me).

However, very young people can learn how to knit (my mom was 12 when she learned to knit, and she promptly taught her four-year-old sister!) My mom did not learn to crochet until she was an adult and taught herself.

I'd see what types of things she wants to create. I had two goals: learn to crochet a granny square, and learn to knit socks. So far, that is all I've done with either craft (when I crochet a blanket, I just crochet one huge granny square, but I can do a plain granny square or a solid granny square).

The crochet projects do go a lot faster though, especially if you use a big yarn.

For crochet, my mom showed me how to make a chain, and I used youtube to learn the rest. For knitting, I sat by my mom and she showed me how to knit and purl a few short rows, and then threw me right onto the socks. I had her show me each step, while I took very careful notes for myself, and then also got the pattern from her. I had to have her show me a few things a couple times, and she had to fix a few of my mistakes on my first sock, but after that, I was able to start figuring out how to fix my mistakes myself (and "just pull on the yarn back to your screw up" was something I learned very quickly not to do after the first time I tried it!)

Last edited by Sleepy Hollow; 12-09-2018 at 09:28 PM.