View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 09:50 AM
Shoofly1

Default sewing fiberglass screening/bats

I have a few Little Brown Bats roosting in the rafters of my attached carport which is open on one side and in the front. They are migratory, but return in early May when the weather warms enough that insects are plentiful for them to feast on. I think we've had the last snowstorm about 10 days ago and the weather is warming (50 degrees today), so it's time to evict the bats from the carport before they return.

A bat exclusion expert quoted me $1,000 to put up netting across the entire top of the carport just below the pitched ceiling with the rafters. No way would I spend that kind of money on the darling bats. I did some research on the internet about screening in carports and that's even more costly.

I stumbled on a cool website, https://thriftdiving.com/make-garage-door-screen/ of a do-it-yourself gal and was inspired to screen in my carport myself. I'll use Velcro to attach the screening to the house and posts so the screen will be removable. I want to sew some seams, a zipper down the middle front, and blanket binding across the bottom edge like the video showed her doing on a Bernia, but I am hesitant to sew fiberglass screening on my most precious possession, a Viking Quilt Designer. This is the same type screening used for your windows. She says, "I absolutely love working with fiberglass screen! Who knew that such a cool material could be easy to handle and doesn't wrinkle up."

Has anyone had experience sewing fiberglass screening on their domestic sewing machine? What needle type/size should I use? What type of thread? Does the fabric drag when sewing it? Any tips?