View Single Post
Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 PM
dunster
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I have worse news for you. On some brands of LA that stuff can travel up your needle bar and gunk things up in there as well. If you don't have access to take it all apart and clean it out you may have to bring it in for a servicing. Last year I was having issues with mine, (not a sit down machine) and tech support thought glue from fusible applique had mucked things up in the needle bar, apparently it has happened to a lot of users. That wasn't my issue but in the troubleshooting process, the manufacturer (tech support) had me buy a gun cleaning kit for a .22. I had to remove the needle bar and ream out the area using the gun cleaning tool/reamer completely saturated with oil (sorry I can't remember if he just had me use my machine oil or the special oil in the gun cleaning kit) used to clean out a barrel of a gun. So you may be able to clean out your bobbin area using machine oil or the oil for cleaning guns. You can probably pick it up at any sporting goods place or if you have hunters in your family they would surely have it (or should anyways). Most LA manufacturers have phone support. I would call.

Feline, the tech (actually Michael) thought I had the same issue, so I bought the gun kit, did the cleaning. But I had never used any of the spray products, or applique glue. I was quilting on batiks and was told that batiks or white-on-white (WOW) fabric can cause the needle bar to get gummed up. Actually it turned out that I had a different problem. I loosened a belt in the back of the machine, and then everything ran fine.