Thread: Best Press
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2019, 07:24 PM
Peckish

Originally Posted by farmquilter View Post
Please pass on your recipe for Best Press that works.
Best Press is starch. It is clarified, perfumed, and has surfactants added to help it absorb into fabric quickly. You can do a search for "homemade starch" and find many recipes.

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I don't like the fact Best Press does not list the ingredients in it. Why the secrecy? I won't buy products not even cleaning products that do not have a list of ingredients on the container.
See the above.

I have one of the very first bottles of Best Press from years ago. The label very clearly states that it is starch. I agree with you, Onebyone, and I think it's rather disingenuous of them to lead quilters to believe it's not starch by changing the terminology on the bottle to say "starch alternative". Sure, it's an alternative to traditional starch, such as Sta-Flo or Niagra, but it's still starch. The MSDS sheet for Best Press states this fact.

Originally Posted by Homespun View Post
I copied this recipe last year but haven't made it yet.
Use a 32 ounce bottle: Add 1 cup Vodka (cheap kind) and 2 cups water and several drops of essential oil
This isn't starch. This is what is known as "linen spray", a scented spray that will make your pressed linens smell lovely. Some vodkas are made with starches, but the act of fermenting and distilling removes the starch from the finished product.