Thread: Scored!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 12:05 PM
hobbykat1955

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
Gave it a light oiling and greasing and tried it out. It has a little groan. So, I guess it needs more cleaning, oiling and greasing. I love the speed it has, though.

I have a black one, but never really messed with it. I overpaid for it and then forgot to look for the bobbin case, which it didn't have. I trashed the cabinet and didn't know to save the brackets on the opposite side of the cradle. Then, even though the decals are in good condition, and it has no missing paint, it has no shine. Glenn suggested I just wax it, but I was afraid I'd ruin the decals. So, it just went on the shelf. There's an old Southern saying, "it's snake bit", meaning it's has insurmountable problems. That black 301 may just be snake bit.

I guess it's time to spiff it up and sell it.

Hopefully, the beige and tan one will be a keeper.

bkay
Bobbin cases for the 301's are available...My first purchase was a bargain at a Church fair for 30.00...I too didn't realize it had no bobbin case. So being a novice w/vintage machine I took it to our local Singer guy who got it oiled, replaced foot petal and bobbin case...That baby cost me 250 but I don't regret it and now no longer a novice with 2 other 301's, Redeye I learned how to oil/grease myself...you live and learn...