View Single Post
Old 10-29-2019, 07:29 PM
charlottequilts

Default crooked prints, misspelled selvedges

i have a question that those who own or work in a LQS can likely answer: if a fabric (in this case, closely-spaced lines of text) has the print veering inches from plumb on one side, do the shops just sell it as is? Send it back to the vendor?

I am asking because my LQS, a large shop with an online presence, was happy to sell me 2 yards of a text fabric that I spent 3 weeks fighting with as a background for applique - trying to steam it straight, pin it straight into the backing/batting - all the while on a short deadline. I tried to replace it there with another fabric but could not find an alternative, so I again bought 2 yards of the same stuff (probably the same bolt) with the intention of trying a different approach with a piece that wasn't so much the worse for wear.

Here's where I got suspicious: I commented chattily to the salesperson that the fabric was miserably crooked, but I had a new plan to win, and her face went totally (and suspiciously) blank. Very odd.

Today, I cut a piece of a fabric purchased there 5 years ago, from Wilmington Prints. Neat stuff, but the selvedge had a gross misspelling of "Christmas." I hadn't noticed that before.

So, what I'm asking is: are crooked prints or otherwise imperfect fabrics normally just sold as is? How common are misspelled selvedges? Is my LQS selling seconds without notification?

I have never worked in or owned a LQS, so maybe I'm connecting too many dots here?

hugs,
charlotte