Old 01-06-2020, 11:51 PM
MeganMills

Problem with tension release lever
I've started reassembling the old Singer 201. It does sew - reasonably well (Yay! - it didn't sew at all when I got it.) However, the tension release lever isn't working properly. When the presser foot is up it's not pressing the pin through the tension stud "forward" into the stud, like it should. It's in the right alignment and I can reach in manually and nudge it forward just that little bit and the pin does what it should. But just by raising the presser bar the tension release doesn't make contact with the pin. In my other machine it does, and quite positively. When I look I can't see the difference between how the two machines are set up.

Has anyone had this problem and/or knows what might be the cause? Or, indeed, whether this is a classic "Oh yes, that's the old xxx part needs replacing". (I've not attached pictures before and don't know how to do it. If there is a way and I can attach them please let me know how? I've got four, two close up to where the pin is inside the head, one with presser foot raised and lowered. And two more, of the whole needle bar, presser bar, timing-stud etc area inside the head all installed, again with presser foot raised and lowered.)

Any help at all much appreciated - thank you!