View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 12:59 PM
Iceblossom

Radish Cooking Report Part 2:

Made another corned beef last night, hubby asked where's the radish? Oops -- so just did another batch. It took about 30 minutes for the "potato" sized chunks of daikon to cook. I'd say the root was 3-4" in diameter, I cut it in 1" slices then into fourths.

I'd say that the radish sucks up the salt from the corned beef cooking liquid even more than potatoes! Hubby will like them, a bit too much salt for me, but otherwise the flavor was bland and not radish-y.

I also tried two "hash" tests, I cut quite a bit into half inch cubes and split them into two batches. One I par cooked first for about 10-15 minutes (again using the corned beef broth because it was handy), the other I tried raw. Because of the low starch/sugar I couldn't get either of them to brown even with a high heat and a lot of oil, but the texture and taste were fine on the pre-cooked ones. Again, they soak up flavor well, I had some Montreal Seasoning in the mix.

The raw ones I got a bit distracted by my sewing and burned to a nasty crisp on the one side, while still being defiantly crispy raw on the other! Note to self: You are not so good at multi-tasking with a hot burner in the mix... I think it would be easier to just cube and precook than attempt doing them raw again, but I'm sure the hubby will do a try from fresh.