View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 03:29 PM
traycees

Default Hello from a new quilter

Hello from BC! With so much more time at home since mid-March I decided to start sewing again after a few decades and it has been a wonderful rediscovery. I also wanted to finish a quilt that I got a little way through piecing a l-o-n-g time ago and never looked at again.

Over the past weeks I gathered an enormous amount of information, tips and tricks before diving in - oh, the internet is a wonderful thing! Once I felt well and truly prepared I decided to make an easy baby quilt to practice all the basics. I am almost finished the binding, with the next step being washing it. I've used Hobbs Heirloom 80/20 batting, and I've quilted it between 1.5” and 2” apart. I have just realized there's one thing that I didn't check carefully before I began, and that’s the care instructions for the batting - only just now noticed that it says to (basically) hand wash and lay flat to dry. This is a baby quilt that should see lots of use and I really can't see that happening. It’s really not a reasonable expectation, one wants to be able to toss it in the machine.

What success has anyone had with machine washing and drying a quilt with this batting? Will it ruin the quilt?

Thanks, all.