View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 07:02 AM
Iceblossom

You are doing very well and increasing complexity -- good going!

We all have to work on our points being pointy and our seams correct and blocks coming out as intended. While most of strive for doing the best we can, that means different things to different people. I don't stress too much if a point or two is off in most cases, but sometimes it is just too noticeable to ignore. I mostly make bed quilts and go by the "5 feet away test", often we are so close to our work that we do pick up every imperfection that we don't see from 5 feet away. And if that isn't enough, you can use the "5 feet away on a galloping horse" level of perfection

I have been amazed during my quilting career of how many times I sew the right pieces together the wrong way! Even if all I do is pick up a laid out block next to my sewing machine I can still get reversed/wrong. I'm a believer in pinning and while I can still pin the wrong way, I'm correct more often than not. Unfortunately, I typically do all of one step at a time so if I pin incorrectly then I sew incorrectly and then I have a bit of a moment... and decide whether to start over again or to frog (rippit rippit!) stitch.