View Single Post
Old 07-30-2020, 06:44 AM
Barb in Louisiana

I Googled Little Brown Bird to get a picture in my head of what the entire quilt would look like when finished and how big it would be. I found this very interesting post by Margaret Solomon Gunn. She illuminated some problems she had while trying to quilt a beautiful Little Brown Bird quilt. https://quiltsoflove.blogspot.com/20...rown-bird.html

Since I do my own long arm quilting, am still doing pantographs-not beautiful like Margaret's, I have taken tucks and nips where ever I needed to when fixing a slightly ruffly border. The border on the Little Brown Bird quilt, if made as designed, does not allow that. The applique on the border is heavy and gorgeous. The thing I realized quickly while reading the post was any triangles with the bias on the outside edge could exponentially stretch unless heavily starched, stay stitched or cut differently to have a firm edge on the outside and could create major problems later. Lordy, there is stuff to be learned about piecing and quilting every time I read something.