View Single Post
Old 08-02-2020, 08:15 AM
tropit

Originally Posted by Lurcherlady View Post
This idea of perfection put me off quilting for years. I've recently restarted and gone back to the basics and more importantly I don't stress if something doesn't line up perfectly, unless it's miles out. Makes for a much more enjoyable experience, plus I'm actually finishing quilts as opposed to having them laying about trying to make them "perfect".

My local village quilt group is obsessed with perfection and you get a negative comment for anything that doesn't match precisely, needless to say I don't go anymore which is a shame because they are all excellent baker's, but my waistline appreciates it more.
Yeah...many of the quilters around my area are like that. I will say, their quilts are amazing though.

One time, early in my quilting days, I took a quilt to a long-armer for quilting. It was about an hour and a half drive for me each way. She never showed up. I rescheduled with her and went out there again and she was about 45 minutes late. As we started talking and she realized that I was just a beginner, an attitude set in. She became very arrogant and critical of my quilt. I'll never forget the sneer on her face as she folded it in quarters and found that it was not perfectly square. (Honestly, it was only about a 1/4 inch off.) She reluctantly took the quilt in to be quilted and said it would be 2 weeks. After 5 weeks had passed, I called her, but no reply. After 8 weeks, I finally go a hold of her and told her that this quilt was a birthday gift and I needed it right away. She finally sent it to me. The quilting on it was very nice, but I'm not sure it was worth the effort of dealing with that woman.

~ C