Old 09-14-2020, 01:48 AM
Jay401

Originally Posted by Mickey2 View Post
Never steel wool on anything, exception would be bare rusted metal. Chromed parts don't need it. You could try gentle polishing on the oval badge, I would not use anything more abrasive than liquid car polish, and test a tiny spot with cotton swab first.
[...]
Badges on some machines are soft metal and would scratch, the paint is often even softer, unlike the chromed parts.
Thank you. Liquid car polish worked. It didn't make brand new, but that's not what I wanted either. It's an old machine and despite the good condition you can tell it has a few years on it, badges being too shiny would look wrong. It cleaned them up and increased contrast which is what I wanted.

The badges on this machine appear to be brass that's etched and painted, the painting makes me weary of anything abrassive.

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I think I would try metal polish. I've used it extensively on sewing machines, but not on the badge. That would still be my first choice.

I have to admit that I am afraid of the auto polish, although everyone says to use it. I have a black 301 that needs that, but it's still sitting there.

bkay
Metal polish should work well too.
I used liquid polishing on the whole machine without any problem or scratches, mine is a very delicate polish. I've use it on musical instruments without issues. So I felt more comfortable using it. However it's always a bit scary.