Old 11-01-2020, 10:12 AM
IrishNY

Originally Posted by Mkotch View Post
I am thinking about joining in, but I don't want to use Bonnie's colors. I hated my Good Fortune quilt which did follow her colors!

I have a lot of blues, greens, and purples in my stash, but I'm really lacking in grays. So I'll have to go get a few more to mix in. I'm also thinking about adding in turquoise. Substituting colors for Bonnie's can be confusing. Anybody got a system worked out for this?
Mkoch, I change the colors every year because I don't want my quilt to look like everyone else's. I always decide on what colors I want to use, then take a black and white picture of Bonnie's chips to determine value and make sure I have the same mix of light, medium and dark values. Most colors can be any of the three, depending on whether it is tinted or shaded.

The other factors I consider is having enough contrast between all colors since I don't know what will be touching in the finished quilt and making sure I really like the color that requires the most fabric, since it will be the dominant color in the quilt. It's a risk but I haven't been disappointed in the result yet and I've done 7 of the MQs. Good luck with your choices. .