View Single Post
Old 11-22-2020, 09:58 AM
Iceblossom

It was my first really major shock of "this isn't normal" early on here when the entire aisle of cleaning supplies at my grocery store was gone except for furniture polish and lavender scented laundry soap. I mean, everything in the store that had any bleach or cleanser or anything was gone. The entire store length aisle was just empty... while supplies had mostly returned, they are spotty and varied for the last six months.

There is a scene in the movie Moscow on the Hudson where Robin Williams plays an escaped Russian and he has a breakdown when he asks for the "coffee line" and was directed to the coffee aisle, floor to ceiling, stocked full of every sort of coffee you could ever want and as much as you want, and not a long line to stand in to take whatever you could get. Seeing that empty aisle was just a major shock to me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_on_the_Hudson

For those of you in newly impacted area, yes -- get everything you possibly need for 2 weeks to a month as much as you have actual use for, space to store, and money to pay. Tissue paper for runny noses was gone for a long time along with toilet paper. We had no hand sanitizers, masks or gloves in any amount for any amount of money.

We also had restrictions and shortages on meat -- I am expecting another round of reduced pork and chicken production in the next six months -- but my dire predictions about the price/quantity of produce from California turned out to be less impacted than my fears so what do I know.

edit: Don't forget the pets and personal supplies like contact lens solution or shampoo or other things you need. It's not all about shortages, it's also about limiting contact/trips out and if you are having deliveries to your house every day you aren't quite so locked down as you think!

Last edited by Iceblossom; 11-22-2020 at 10:03 AM.