View Single Post
Old 08-25-2021, 08:14 AM
Iceblossom

I would simply talk to them -- you like having them there but you also like having things to do. So, are there things that you already do that maybe they'd like to do too? A lot of kids this age enjoy cooking/baking particularly.

Are there things that maybe none of us do or would like to know more about? Getting field guides of birds or rocks or just learning the names of the trees in your neighborhood both give opportunities for going out and about at low cost... There may be other crafts that are appealing to everyone. Some of which may not be low cost!

Then there is, are there things that you do that maybe I'd like to know more about? I play on line video games and I often meet up with youth who just want someone to talk to. You don't need to let them be plugged in all the time, but sometimes it helps to know things like -- something really rare is happening and I really need to be doing what I do on this day/time. Is really easy to dismiss computer time as not being "real" but I spend significant time with some of my on-line friends and have for years, even though we've never actually met in person.

That can be a great way of spending time, just spending time. Jigsaw puzzles can be something to do to disguise the fact that you are really just talking. Get a big expensive one that pertains to someone's interests and one of the roll up mats.