Thread: Masks
View Single Post
Old 09-06-2021, 08:50 AM
JanieW

Originally Posted by sewingpup View Post
3 plus years ago, I got diagnosed with cancer that has about a 5% survival rate at 5 years. Normally, I would do my research and make my own medical decision as to what to do. However, in this case, although I do have both a biology and nursing degree as well as a master's degree, I decided, I just did not have the time to brush up on current knowledge of cancer and the treatment and I would just have to trust the health professionals. Yeah, it was scary. But my oncologist has a least 8 years of advanced training and also several years of professional practice in addition to have having other professionals to speak to regarding my care. I actually also traveled to a major medical center to have my surgery at my oncologist recommendation. I am still here, that year of treatment and surgery was real tough. So far scans have been clear. I have completed about 12 big quilts since then and made several masks. The surgery was done by a surgeon who does about 70 of rare and difficult surgeries I had a year. There are times in our lives where it just makes sense to pick very qualified and credentialed people to go with. So glad I did not trust the local lay person who treats everything with the stuff she grows in her garden. Please folks, pick who you listen to wisely. Am I going to listen to the qualified experts on this pandemic...yep...I am choosing a couple of experienced immunologists and epidemiologist's to listen to on this covid stuff, not the eye doctor.
I can identify with this. I had a mastectomy in 2015. I have at least two autoimmune conditions, possibly a third. I don’t hide in my house but I am very careful about following public health protocol when I am in the public places where I need to go. I know I’m not the only person with a compromised immune system so I follow the safety precautions for their sakes as well as my own. There are kids under 12 who can’t be vaccinated yet so I consider them, too.

One of the aspects of this pandemic that makes me very sad is the realization there is a segment of society that simply doesn’t care about others.