View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 03:02 AM
tropit

So many great tips on bread baking here! I love it, especially now that we are going into the cooler, "bread baking season." I'm not sure what I can add to what everyone else has said, but here goes...

SusieQOH...How long did you let the dough rise? Was it a heavy, sturdy dough, or a light, fluffy dough? Heavier dough can sometimes take a little longer to rise. You don't want to over-proof it...it might collapse, but you might try letting it rise just a little longer next time.

What type of pan did you use? I personally prefer dark, heavy pans that hold the heat well.

Also, where did you put the dough to rise? Cooler air, or drafts can knock a dough right down flat. I have an old stove with a pilot light and I like to proof and rise my dough in there, with the oven turned off. It's a warm and cozy spot and totally draft free. If I were rich, I'd have a proofing drawer, like on the Great British Baking Show.

I agree with the others...yeast does not like salt. But, if the salt is mixed in with the flour first, it should not be a problem. I've made many recipes where the yeast was added to the flour first and it usually came out fine, so I don't think that is the problem.

Sometimes adding just a teaspoon, or two of sugar will help the bread rise better. Those little yeasts get hungry. You won't taste it in the final product.

Use whatever type of yeast is called for in the recipe.

One more thing...make sure that you have kneaded it long enough to develop the gluten, which gives it all of the strength and sturdiness to rise high. I know...we've all heard this before, but sometimes we just get so antsy to bake and eat the bread that we forget about the obvious.

That's my 2 cents.