View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 06:06 AM
Cass62

Default Craftsy Auto-Renewal

Like many others, I signed up for the Craftsy special last year for ~$3/year unlimited access. This was set to automatically renew after the one year special unless you called them to shut it off. Thankfully, I received an email yesterday informing me I had until Oct 23rd to make that call, because I truly thought I had done it last year soon after re-joining.

The customer service agent was polite, and did ask what my reason was for non-renewal. I explained that though I enjoy the few classes I have time for, what I really miss is the retail side of Craftsy, and the pattern downloads from independent designers. Their bundles of Aurifil thread were wonderful, with great prices. I also was left with a bad taste in my mouth at the way they shut down the fabric/supplies and literally sold truckloads of fabric for pennies on the dollar to re-sellers, rather than offering these products to their members. To me, that's making a choice to lose both money and customers. These fabrics later began showing up on Facebook de-stash groups at extreme discounts, e.g., charm packs for $2.00-3.00, jelly rolls for $8.00, fat quarter bundles (of 20 FQ) for $12.00, etc. The woman selling them at these prices was still making a profit, even at these bargain basement rates, so it shows how cheaply Craftsy sold everything off. It just made me sad that they chose to treat their customers so poorly while practically giving their stock away to someone else.

When I canceled the renewal, they did offer a "special $29/year" membership, which I declined. I just don't see them being around much longer, and I'm moving on. If you signed up for the same deal I did and don't intend to renew, the time to make that call is now.