View Single Post
Old 11-02-2022, 07:09 AM
OurWorkbench

Default November 2022 Colorado Get-Together - Part 3

Courtney

Courtney and his wife Connie have been busy over the last month. He recounts their activities:

Dear All,

With Connie being a famous SF writer, we go to 3 or 4 SF conventions a year. The weekend of Oct 20-23 was MileHiCon in Denver. I had volunteered to do a kid's program of sewing with hand crank machines. That meant that I could no longer procrastinate and had to get to the shop the make some hand-wheels I could use with hand cranks. I had experimented a couple of months ago, so it was time to actually make some. This time I used some 3/4 inch mdf and it worked out great. I didn't have time to paint them black, but I think they still looked acceptable and worked well. See picture.

The hand crank machines were ready to go BUT somehow, I had been left off of the kids' program so a number of adults showed up expecting me to talk give a formal talk about sewing machines. A friend had brought her mother's old Featherweight for me to service so that meant that I would at least have two machines to display, my homemade hand-crank and the Featherweight. BUT, another friend had come across a 19th century machine and had decided to buy it for me. She is from Santa Fe and brought it with her and gave it to me. It looks like a Singer 12 but I don't think it is official. Nowhere can I find Simanco or Singer. The shuttle is a boat shuttle but has a tension spring, so I think it is probably a European copy but built to a high standard. It still looks very nice and seems to work well. The case is a bit worn but I think I can refinish it and it will look nice. All in all, a great 19th century machine.

Nearly everyone knows I like sewing machines, so another friend showed up with a vintage Kenmore 158-504. It is not pristine but did come with a table and chair. She said she had tried to give it away a couple of times, but no one ever showed up to take it away, so I was going to have to take it. At least all of this happened before my presentation so now I was going to have 4 machines to display.

Just as I was setting up for my talk a fellow showed up with a Willcox and Gibbs glass tension machine. He said that he had bought it in England 30 years ago for about 5 pounds and was never going to use it and asked if I could. I quickly accepted the machine. It needs to be cleaned up a bit but seems to turn freely and be in good working condition. The very first W&G machines were glass tension machines starting in the late 1850's but in 1876 W&G introduced their automatic machines which became quite popular. At first glance I could only see 5 serial numbers which would have placed it in the early 1860s. but after I got it home, I was able to find a 6th serial number placing it about 20-25 years later but definitely a 19th century machine. All in all, I ended up with 5 machines ranging from mid to late 19th century to mid to late 20th century to demonstrate while I talked about the history of sewing machines. I think the talk went well and I came home with 3 new (to me) sewing machines!

This coming month I will have to get my homemade hand-wheels painted, clean up the model 12 and W&G machines, and work on the model 12 case. Sounds like fun.

Courtney

PS I have worked on the W&G since I wrote this letter. It was missing a needle screw, but I was able to dig one up. I think the machine was used commercially because it was VERY dirty. It is still not clean, but it is much better than it was. I put in a needle, adjusted the tension and gave it a try. It sews! The hand wheel was drilled for a crank handle, so I put on a cute red one. And quickly made a base for it. I still need to put a finish on one end of the base but the whole thing is starting to look quite nice.

courtney-handcrank-2.jpg

courtney-s12-2.jpg

courtney-w-g5.jpg

As a last minute followup Courtney sent a note and additional picture:

Just a quick picture of the little W&G with needle and needle nut, hand crank, and base. It still needs a lot of cleaning but I think it is rather cute looking.

courtney-w-g-base.jpg

In Closing

Our thanks to the members who shared their varied activities with us. And thank you for reading. We will post here again next month.