View Single Post
Old 11-06-2022, 08:49 AM
my-ty

Originally Posted by tropit View Post
I allllmmmmmosst got out of making the Thanksgiving feast this year. I just about had my dau talked into it, but she switched to doing Christmas dinner instead. I like Thanksgiving, I do, but it's always the same, old dishes. Everybody has their favorite dish and I can't leave it out. Well, this year I want to change things up. Any ideas? (Don't even mention green bean casserole!)
I have frequently switched things up. Almost every holiday meal, I usually try a few different dishes or have made permanent changes. I approach cooking the same as my quilting and I like the challenge of trying new things! I believe our food preferences evolve while sometimes we are forced into alternate eating styles due to health reasons or food preferences. Yes, I miss some of the old traditional items, but they no longer work for me or my family. Embrace these changes, they are the new normal and incorporate them as new traditions. Life is too short to be stuck in a rut, that no longer works.

I usually start with my "traditional" menu and then pick which items I want to tweak or change. For example, the "green bean casserole" might be changed to an alternate green bean recipe or some other green vegetable or maybe a medley of vegetables. Just like my quilts I keep my menu colorful, the more color the better. I also consider healthier recipes, kid-friendly choices, senior-friendly choices, oven space, etc..

Have fun changing up things. If I get comments then I offer to share my recipes and they can make and bring it next time., Or it might appear for a different holiday meal! If I make a huge change then I usually warn the family of the change before hand - so the comments don't happen that day. My family understand why I make changes and accept my quirkiness!